Saturday, March 22, 2008

More about Second Life

I figured out how to fly!!! Here's some help for those thinking that Second Life is to daunting to try:

You will begin on tutorial island. They teach you to chat, gesture, etc. You can alter your appearance by going to file or edit, and then Appearance. You can actually make your avatar look like you!

You have to complete 4 tasks on the tutorial island to get the key to go to help island where you can get free things like clothes, vehicles, houses, etc. Then find the green beam that shoots into the sky. This is where you "teleport" to another island. When you get there do file, search, for "Info Island." That will teleport you straight there!

On Info Island I began in a garden devoted to Religious Resources, where I read about Buddhism. I also went inside an Islamic temple. There are also other libraries where you can do research and an area called Reference where there is a librarian on duty. You can ask the librarian questions and they will help you.

I found an area for Reading Groups. This was really cool. There was a circle of places to sit and a sign for the book that the group was reading and the next time they would meet there. No book clubs in your area- this is where you can interact! There was also an area with a bunch of magazines to download and areas just to sit on comfy pillows, pick out a book, and read!

Overall, I found my experience in Second Life to be eye opening. It's not just a video game, there are links to real websites, etc. And the most fun is talking to people. Unfortunately, there didn't seem to be a lot of them around when I was on Info Island.

I flew to a beach area where there were tutorials about surfing and I walked on the floor of the ocean just because I could. Then, the sun began to set so I logged off.

1 comment:

PatriciaP said...

This is very helpful information. I have shied away from Second Life because everyone says it is too hard, but I will use your hints here, and do Second Life as a treat to myself. You write really well, makes this experience sound oh so fun....

Patricia -
CMLE