Tuesday, March 25, 2008

#20 MySpace and Facebook

Ohh Facebook. You are what college students love. You are what the student workers at our Circulation Desk spend hours staring at with their faces brightly shining.

The appeal is there and it is a very useful social networking site. Due to nagging from my college age sister, I created a facebook account. Setting it up was fun - editing my profile and adding things I liked. I was able to locate high school classmates, which was great because I haven't had contact with many of those people. However, I do use a different name so it is not easy to find me, to protect my identity. I don't check it very often now, but I know a lot of college age students who spend several hours checking facebook, looking at pictures, etc.

Last summer, after observing our student workers, I looked into using facebook to create an account about the Circulation Desk and training, updates, etc. It is still something I will continue to investigate for work purposes.

No comments: