Wednesday, March 19, 2008

#15 Online Games in Libraries

First, I tried Puzzle Pirates. I guess I became bored right away and decided not to pursue reading through everything to figure out how the game worked. I have never really been into video games, except when I had a nintendo in 5th grade. That didn't last long as I soon became frustrated that I couldn't get past certain levels in Mario Brothers and it was only fun to shoot the ducks on the second game that came with the unit a few times.

Anyway, I tried Second Life. At first, I'm like, "Why?" So I read a few articles related to online learning and specifically articles related to libraries and teen Second Life. I was surprised to learn that you can purchase things, talk to people with similar interests, attend concerts, go to libraries to research. Then, I thought, "This is cool!" So. . I created my avatar- if anyone sees me- I am Hotcakes Hamm. I figured out how to alter my appearance and then navigate around info island. When I was driving a segway someone named Leonard Finch jumped on my segway for awhile but didn't chat with me, finally he went away. My favorite thing that I learned was how to fly!!!

I have not made it to Info Island yet, but that is where I am headed!!

1 comment:

PatriciaP said...

Hey Hotcakes....how very cool. You got much farther than most in Second Life. It isn't the easietst game, that is for sure! Do blog about Info Island after you fly there, can't wait....

Patricia -
CMLE