Sunday, February 3, 2008

just bloggin'

Hello

So . . . since I have this newly created blog I thought that I should you know, blog. I found a list of prompts on the 23 things on a stick site. So . . . Here it goes!

Why are you participating in 23 Things On a Stick? What do you hope to learn?

Well, I'm so glad that you asked me that question. As a person who not long ago had absolutely no interest in using computers for anything, I am looking forward to learning more about opportunities in cyberspace, such as this blog. Back when I was in college, 2003, I was reluctant to try and down right resistant to using the computer in my studies, save but for writing papers and researching on the internet. Yes, I am a relavity younger person in my late 20's, however I did not grow up with computers. Only through teaching myself how to type and eventually use the internet during early college did I even become interested in this new technology.

Through job experiences, and now through my current position as a Library Technician that coordinates Electronic Reserve items, I have become more comfortable with a variety of programs and tools on computers.

I think a lot to do with my new found excitement with online "things" is the fact that I am confident in learning. Just learning! You know how before you try something new, you may be nervous about attempting the "new" thing? Before, that's exactly how I felt. Now, I think of all learning experiences as a challenge. And, knowing that Everything is centered around how computer profiecient you are, it is a neccessity.

All right, back to the question. Mostly, I am participating to widen my range of skills in online tools. I am working on developing training for the student workers that are employed at the Circulation Desk at the library I work at. Having between 40-50 student workers in various job roles is a challenge is figure out how to train new workers and to keep returning workers updated on and happenings in the area. I think that many of the areas I will be exploring through this program will help in developing the way in the which the training is delivered to our student workers!

I am most looking forward to using Flickr for photos. I would like to develop training tutorials for the student workers showing step by step instructions with pictures.

That's it for now!
Megan

1 comment:

PatriciaP said...

Your motivation for being in this program is right on the money. Especially in an academic setting, it is pretty vital to understand the world of our students. The ways they are interacting with information; accessing, creating, and sharing, will change how we need to think about services that have some type of "fit" wiht their world. Keep blogging....and try to set up RSS feeds to other bloggers in the program....

Patricia P
CMLE